Directus AI Hackathon: Project List & Winners
Published September 1st, 2023
Director, Developer Relations
Check below as we've updated this post with our two winners for the Directus AI Hackathon.
Throughout August, we ran our very first Directus hackathon around the theme of AI. We challenged our community to build extensions that utilize AI in fun or interesting ways. We've had four valid submissions, and now it's your turn to get involved.
The core team will vote for our favorite project judging projects based the following criteria with no specific weighting:
- Creative: Is the idea original and innovative?
- Technical: How effectively do you integrate AI? Is the project well-executed? Does it run?
- Relevance: Do you solve a real problem faced by people?
- Presentation: Have you taken time to add polish to your project?
One of our prizes is decided by the community. From the submissions below, the repository with the most GitHub Stars before September 10 at 23:59 UTC will win this category. No stars given or removed after the end of the judging period will be accepted.
Media AI Bundle - Community Winner
This bundle contains two new operation extensions to be used within our Flows automation builder.
The first operation takes an image as an input and then describes what's in the image using AltText.ai or Amazon Rekognition. The operation results both a description that can be used as alt text, and the full raw API response.
The second operation uses Amazon Rekognition to extract text from an image, which can then be used in futher operations.
Check out the repository: Arood/directus-extension-media-ai-bundle.
Directus Copilot - Core Team Winner
This is a bundle of extensions - the first is a panel extension allows users to ask contextual questions about their data within Insights dashboards.
The second extension is a custom endpoint, required by the panel to work. The endpoint actually conducts requests to OpenAI.
Check out the repository: programmarchy/directus-extension-copilot.
OpenAI Automatic Translation
This operation extension automatically translates content in collection items using the OpenAI API. In the README example, a new collection item is created in English, and within minutes, a further 7 languages are available in the translations interface.
Check out the repository: timio23/directus-operation-auto-translate.
Machine Learning Operations
This project is a set of extensions allowing developers to train, test and use machine learning model inside their existing project. Contained within this bundle is an operation, an endpoint, a hook, and two interfaces for use in the Directus Editor.
Check out the repository: karamokoisrael/directus-hackathon-submission.
And The Winner Is...
...being announced at a live Discord event on September 11 2023, and winners contacted over email on the same day. If you haven't already, this is a great time to join our Discord community.
Both the Directus Core Team and Community Vote prizes are the same:
- $1000 USD awarded to the project submitter.
- $250 USD donation to a charity of the winner’s choice from the following list:
- codebar - a charity that facilitates the growth of a diverse tech community by running free regular programming workshops for minority groups in tech.
- VetsInTech - who support transitioning military, veterans and spouses of either with reintegration services, and by connecting them to the national technology ecosystem.
- Out In Tech - the world’s largest non-profit community of LGBTQ+ tech leaders.
- Carbon180 works toward developing equitable, science-based policies that will scale carbon removal.
- Cool Earth works with rainforest communities, tackles the root causes of deforestation, and protects vital carbon sinks.
Get voting, and see you on the September 11th!