This is where you can adjust all of the global settings for your project, such as project name, default language, custom CSS, password policies, and more. Changes saved here are instantly reflected throughout the platform.
To maintain project safety and integrity, only Administrators have access to the Settings Module.
Configure Project Settings
To configure Project Settings, follow these steps.
- Navigate to Settings > Project Settings.
- Configure settings as desired.
- Click check to confirm.
All configuration options are described in detail below.
To manage your project settings programmatically, see our API documentation on settings.
- Project Name — Sets the name on the Navigation Bar, as well as login and public pages.
- Project Descriptor — Sets the descriptor shown below the Project Name.
- Project URL — Sets URL when clicking the logo at the top of the Module Bar.
- Default Language — Sets the default language used within the app.
Branding & Style
- Project Color — Sets color on the project logo, FavIcon and login/public pages.
- Project Logo — Adds a 40x40px logo at the top of the Module Bar and on the login/public pages. The image is inset within a 64x64px square filled with the project color. We recommend using a PNG file for optimal compatibility.
- Public Foreground — Adds image on the public page's right-pane (max-width 400px).
- Public Background — Adds image displayed behind the public foreground image, shown full-bleed within the public page's right-pane. When a public background image is not set, the project color is used instead.
- Public Note — A helpful note displayed at the bottom of the public page's right-pane, supports markdown for rich-text formatting.
- Custom CSS — Applies custom CSS rules to override the Data Studio's default styling. Be aware that the Data Studio's core code, and therefore its DOM selectors, can change at any time. These updates are not considered a breaking change.
Browser FavIcon & Title
The Project Color is also used to set a dynamic FavIcon and the Project Name is used in the browser's page title, making it easier to identify different Directus projects.
- Module Bar — Allows the following customization of links displayed in the Module Bar.
- Toggle Visibility — Toggle check_box_outline_blank to set module link visibility in the Navigation Bar.
- Manually Sort Modules — Click drag_handle and drag to reorder module links as desired.
- Add Link — To add a new custom link, click Add Link and fill in the details below.
- Name — Sets the title of the module link, also shown in a tooltip on hover.
- Icon — Selects an icon for the module button.
- URL — Should start with a
/for links within the Directus Data Studio.
- None — Not recommended.
- Weak — Minimum of 8 characters.
- Strong — Uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters.
- Auth Login Attempts — Sets the number of failed login attempts allowed before a user's account is locked. Once locked, an Admin user is required to unlock the account.
Files & Storage
The platform's file middleware allows for cropping and transforming image assets on the fly. This means you can simply request an original image, include any desired parameters, and you'll be served the new asset as a response.
To help stop malicious users from using up your storage by requesting a large number of random sizes, you can use the following options to limit what transformations are possible.
- Allowed Transformations — For enabling, disabling, or limiting image transformations.
- Default Folder — Sets the default folder where new assets are added. This does not affect existing files. Be aware that fields may override this value.
- Transformation Presets — Sets a specific image transformation configuration to simplify requests or limit usage.
- Key — Sets unique identifier allowing faster and easier image transformation requests.
- Fit — Contain (keeps aspect ratio), Cover (exact size), Fit Inside, or Fit Outside.
- Width — Sets the width of the image.
- Height — Sets the height of the image.
- Quality — Adjusts the compression or quality of the image.
- Upscaling — When enabled, images won't be upscaled.
- Format — Changes the output format.
- Additional Transformations — Adds additional transformations using Sharp.
How to Use Transformation Presets
To learn more, please see the API guide on transformation presets.
- Mapbox Access Token — Create a Mapbox Access Token and enter it here to improve the platform's mapping experience.
- Basemaps — Click Create New to set a custom tile configuration that overrides the Mapbox defaults.
- Name — Sets a custom name to identify the basemap preset.
- Type — Sets tile type. Choose from Raster, Raster TileJSON, or Mapbox Style.
- Tile Size — Sets a tile size (in pixels).
- URL — Sets the URL to request your tiles from.
- Attribution — Sets attribution information.
- Custom Aspect Ratios — Adds custom aspect ratios in the image editor.
- Text — Sets a name to identify the aspect ratio.
- Value — Sets the aspect ratio with a fraction.
For example, if you want a 16:10 aspect ratio, you would type in
1.6, which is derived from 16/10, which equals 1.6. If the intended aspect ratio is 16:9, the value would be 16 divided by 9, rounded to 1.7778.