Translation Strings are multilingual key-value pairs that you can use throughout the app. They enable you to translate things like dropdown options, placeholder text, field notes, and more.
Create a Translation String
To create a Translation String, follow these steps.
- Navigate to Settings > Translation Strings.
- Click add in the page header and a drawer will open.
- Add a key and click "Create New" and another drawer will open.
- Select the language and type in the corresponding translation.
- Click check to confirm and add the translation.
- Repeat steps 3-5 as desired.
- Optional: Click close to delete a translation.
- Click check to confirm and save the Translation Strings.
Use a Translation String
Throughout the Settings Module, you will notice certain input fields have a translate icon on them. While can always type static text into these input fields, this translate icon indicates that you have the option assign a Translation String. To assign a Translation String, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the input that you'd like to add a Translation String to.
- There are two ways to assign a Translation String:
- Click translate and a dropdown menu with all Translation Strings will appear.
$t:translation-string-keyand hit enter.
- Choose a Translation String key as desired.
- Optional: Click to remove the Translation String.
- Click check to confirm.
Your Translation String is set! Now the language-appropriate text will be shown based on the current language of the app. There are two ways to change the app language. First, administrators can set the Project's default language. Second, Users can choose their own personal language preference. Also note that if a language is chosen for which there is no Translation String, the translation key (from step three) will be displayed instead.
add New Translation String
You can also click add New Translation String in the translate dropdown menu to create a new Translation String on the fly.