# File Library
Directus includes a full-featured Digital Asset Management (DAM) system for storing, organizing, browsing, and transforming your various files and assets.
# Browsing Files
This module aggregates all files within the project into one consolidated library. This listing page has the same features and functionality as the Collection Page.
# Viewing or Editing a File
Provides a custom form for viewing assets and embeds, with core fields included out-of-the-box (see below), and the ability for administrators to add additional custom fields. This page has the same features and functionality as the Item Page.
# File Info
- Preview — A preview of the image or file
- Title — A title for the file
- Description — A description of the file
- Tags — Keywords used for searchability
- Location — An optional location, eg: where a photo was taken
- Storage — Which storage adapter is used to store the file asset
- Filename (Disk) — LOCKED, this is the actual name of the file in storage
- Filename (Download) — This allows you to set the name of the file when it is downloaded
The file sidebar also includes the following details:
- Type — The MIME type of the file, displayed in the App as a formatted media type
- Dimensions — (Images Only) The width and height of the image in pixels
- Size — The file-size the asset takes up within the storage adapter
- Created — The timestamp of when the file was uploaded to the project
- Owner — The Directus user that uploaded the file to the project
- Folder — The current parent folder that contains the file
- Metadata — Metadata JSON dump of the file's EXIF, IPTC, and ICC information
# Action Buttons
- Save — Saves any edits made to the page
- Edit — Saves any edits made to the page
- Download — Saves any edits made to the page
- Move Folder — Saves any edits made to the page
- Delete — Permanently removes this file and its metadata. This action is permanent and can not be undone.
# Editing an Image
Clicking the "Edit" action button on the File Detail opens an image editor for rotating, cropping, or mirroring the file.
- From the File Library, click a file to open it's detail page
- Click the edit button in the top right to open the image editor
- Make your changes and hit save in the top right to save the updates to the file
# Replacing a File
Clicking the image Preview on the File Detail page opens a modal where you can replace the file. This is useful if you want to change the file, but keep existing file info and maintain all of the file's relationships.
# Uploading a File
There are many ways that a file can be uploaded into Directus via the App. We'll cover the primary method below, but keep in mind that files can also be added directly through different interfaces.
- From the File Library, click on the "Create Item" (+ icon) button located in the header
- Upload the file by:
- Dragging a file from your desktop to the modal
- Click the modal area to manually select a file from your device
- Clicking the "..." icon and choosing "Import from URL"